Sunday, June 2, 2013

On my Easel

God So Loved
by Jason Peck
14X18, Oil on Canvas Board
Detail
Hey Guys, Here is a painting Im just about finished with. There are still a few areas that Im going to rework a bit. This was painted on a cheap ol canvas that has a very textured weave. The weave of the canvas made painting the details especially difficult. It was even more difficult to photograph. The heavy weave catches all the light. Once its completely dry, Ill try to scan it at a high resolution.

I used my usual palette of colors. I painted nearly all the flesh tones with these colors: Flake White, Yellow Ochre Pale, Alizarin Crimson Permanent, Raw Umber, and Ultramarine Blue.  For this painting I used Gamsol, and M. Grahams Walnut Alkyd. I also used allot of Raw Umber for the drawing, because it dries fast.

Initially all of the figures in this painting where drawn from my imagination, but I eventually asked some friends to model for me to make them seem a bit more lifelike. This would have been a much better painting if I had started with models to begin with. I plan on repainting this one day on a larger smoother surface, and next time Ill draw everything from life.

12 comments:

Anthony VanArsdale said...

This is fabulous, Jason! Well done!

Jason Peck said...

Hey Anthony, Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Bravo. Your attitude is very healthy, each painting is an adventure and a learning experience. We keep learning until we become masters...which never really happens as we can always do something better. This is a nice piece and many a pastor would love to hang itin his/her office. As one of my favorite teachers used to say...Keep painting.

Jason Peck said...

Hey Anonymous, Thank you

Unknown said...

It's amazing to me, all the different things you do with your art, and each is so beautifully rendered, and shows your personal style. I love this one especially! I'm also looking forward to the recent piece that you're working on.

Jason Peck said...

Hi Katherine,

Thank you so much. Its always great to hear from you. Im looking forward to seeing your Hat in the Window piece finished. Makes me want to run out and buy some more colored pencils.

justin said...

I recognize a few people in that painting ! Well done jason

Jason Peck said...

Hey Justin,

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Good to hear from you.

Jason

CamilleMoore said...

I just saw this piece featured on the Jerry's Artarama site. I really like the fact that you are helping take Christ down off of the cross. I enjoyed reading your blog about the piece and would love to hear more about the faces and the story behind it. Nicely done and a great concept!

Jason Peck said...

Hi Camille,

Thank you, and Im glad you noticed my self portrait in this painting. In the painting, Im helping to take Christ off the cross, but Im also holding Christ up, on my shoulders to let the world know about my faith in Christ. Several of my family members were kind enough to pose for me as well. Thank you again, and God Bless.

Ana said...

This is an amazing painting… Love the palette you choose and the composition.

Jason Peck said...

Hi Ana, Thank you, I really appreciate it.